Shanghai Municipal Agricultural Commission is established as one of the departments of the municipal government, with its main functions, internal structure and personnel management in accordance with the “Notice of the General Office of the CPC Central Committee and the General Office of the State Council on Printing and Distributing ‘Plan on Reform of Organs of Shanghai Municipal People’s Government’” (Ting Zi  No. 17).
1. to implement laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and policies regarding agriculture; to study, draft and organize to implement local rules, regulations and policies regarding agriculture; to cooperate with the municipality’s relevant departments in studying and planning major issues in the municipality’s development of agriculture and rural society and economy and put forward corresponding policies and measures;
2. to cooperate with the municipality’s relevant departments in studying, compiling and organizing to carry out the mid-term and long-term plans for the municipality’s rural economy and social development in accordance with the municipality’s overall plan for national economic and social development;
3. to take charge of improving the basic management system for rural areas, putting forward policies for and suggestions on a stable and improved basic management system for rural areas, and guiding land contracting, transfer of rights to land contracting in the rural area and administrating contracting dispute arbitration; to guide and supervise the work of alleviating burdens on peasants; to guide the management over rural collective assets and financial affairs;
4. to formulate and organize to carry out development plans and policies on agricultural scale operation, industrialized agricultural operation, rural cooperative economic organizations, specialized farmers’ cooperative organizations and agriculture intermediary service organizations; to coordinate to promote the construction and development of agriculture socialization service system, agricultural product processing system and trade associations of agricultural products; to participate in guiding comprehensive agricultural development, promoting the construction of agricultural product markets and integrating manufacturing and marketing of agricultural products;
5. to study and put forward suggestions on the municipality’s agriculture modernization development strategies and mid-term and long-term plans for modern agricultural development in accordance with the State’s agricultural policies and the municipality’s requirements for building the modern agriculture; to formulate and organize to carry out development plans and policies concerning crop farming (grain, oil, vegetables, fruits, flowers, melons, edible fungi, etc.) , animal husbandry and fishery, and to promote agriculture restructuring as well as popularization and application of agricultural mechanization; to participate in studying and formulating agriculture-related policies on financial support, prices of agricultural products, rural finance and insurances, agricultural imports and exports, etc.;
6. to take charge of production management of crop farming, guide the adjustment and optimization of crop farming’s structure and layout, and promote integration of all stages of agricultural production; to guide and promote the construction of grain fields’ and vegetable fields’ infrastructure as well as fruits’ and flowers’ demonstration production bases; to study, put forward and supervise the implementation of policies, measures and plans on arable land protection, compensation and improvement; to organize to carry out the implementation of crop farming’s technological research and promotion projects;
7. to formulate and organize to carry out planning, plans and policies on agricultural scientific research, agricultural informatization and agricultural technology promotion; to take charge of constructing systems for the municipality’s innovation in agricultural science and technology as well as agricultural technology promotion, implement the strategy of rejuvenating agriculture through science and education, select and implement the key scientific research projects, agriculture-related scientific and technological achievement conversion projects as well as projects of technology introduction, absorption, digestion and promotion; to take charge of administrating agriculture-related scientific and technological achievements;
8. to organize and coordinate the rational allocation of agricultural resources and sustainable agricultural development; to take charge of basic farmland protection and administration within its administrative region; to coordinate and guide the protection and administration of eco-agriculture, recycling agriculture and agricultural biomass industry; to guide agricultural mechanization development; to take charge of administrating the aquaculture cultivation and fishing industries; to take charge of protection work of aquatic and wild animals and plants; to participate in guiding irrigation and water conservancy projects; to enhance guidance and services for as well as supervision and administration over eco-agriculture, recycling agriculture and agricultural biomass industry, and promote the rational allocation of agricultural resources and sustainable agricultural development;
9. to take charge of supervising the quality of agricultural products; to assess risks and disclose information regarding agricultural products’ quality safety according to law; to organize to carry out quality supervision and certification of agricultural products, green food and genetically modified animal or plant products as well as protection of new agricultural species of animals and plants; to organize and coordinate to establish a market system for agricultural means of production; to carry out licensing, quality monitoring, quality appraisal, supervision and administration of production and processing of various agricultural products and agricultural genetically modified organisms according to law; to assist the municipality’s relevant departments in handling food safety incidents resulting from intake of agricultural products;
10. to organize to supervise and administrate animal and plant epidemic prevention and quarantine, and draft the plans to control and eradicate the municipality’s major animal and plant epidemics; to take charge of administrating veterinarian medical and medicine affairs, animal product safety supervision, official veterinarians, veterinary practitioners and veterinary laboratory biosafety; to guide farm machinery safety supervision; to guide the supervision and administration of fishery and fishing ports as well as fishing vessel safety;
11. to participate in guiding rural economy restructuring, resource allocation, construction of concentrated and municipal-level industrial parks in rural areas, and the development of the tertiary industry; to take charge of undertaking inter-governmental domestic and international agricultural affairs; to organize and coordinate domestic and international economic and technological communications and cooperations related to agriculture; to guide agriculture oriented for export and foreign exchange earnings; to take charge of undertaking agricultural affairs involving Taiwan;
12. to participate in coordinating and promoting the municipality’s administrative division adjustment and construction of small towns in rural areas as well as farmers’ concentrated inhabitation in towns; to assist in administrating rural infrastructure and eco-environment construction; to take charge of promoting widespread pollution abatement such as decreasing livestock and poultry pollution, chemical fertilizers and pesticides; to cooperate with the municipality’s relevant departments in promoting rural greening and household garbage disposal;
13. to coordinate to promote rural social development; to take charge of guiding farmers to increase income; to cooperate with the municipality’s relevant departments in formulating policies on employment of rural labor force in the non-agricultural sectors, and participate in formulating policies on establishing a rural social security system; to take charge of allocation of and follow-up support for migrants from the Three Gorges area, and safeguard the social stability; to coordinate to handle letters and visits involving farmers’ interests to safeguard the rural stability; to participate in guiding the development of social undertakings such as culture, education, medical treatment, public health and social administration in rural areas;
14. to take charge of the acceptance and hearing of relevant administrative reviews and responses to administrative proceedings;
15. to undertake other tasks assigned by the municipal government.